In 1949, a two year old theatre company calling itself the "Alley" moved into an old fan factory at 709 Berry St. in Houston. Patrons attending shows knew they were attending the Alley Theatre, but those who built the sets, acted on the stage and cleaned up after performances referred to the building simply as the "fan factory". The shows produced were catered to Houston audiences and performed by Houstonians. In 2001, five friends set out to revive the spirit of this great period of Houston's history. Like the old fan factory, the theatre produces six shows per year and runs on the kindness and donations of patrons.